Skip to main content

THM Chick Bundles - S

Who remembers those clever little bundles of goodness that mothers used to make for us for breakfast as kids?  Come on; you know the ones with the slice of bread, with a hole in the center containing a little piece of the morning sunshine.  Wether your mother called them: Eggs in a Hole, Eggs in a Basket, Toads in the Hole, Sunshine Toast or Eggs in a Nest I think at one point in our lives we have all enjoyed these breakfast treat.

I decided that there are enough of us Trim Healthy Mamas out there trying to teach our children the benefits of healthy eating the Trim Healthy Mama way, that I would share this combination of plan approved ingredients.  I love to make dippy (sloppy, runny or drippy) eggs and then dip my toast in the yolk.  For years at breakfast; if it wasn't dipping peanut butter toast in my coffee, then it was dipping gooey buttery toast in my sloppy egg yolk and then eating the remainder of the egg on a piece of toast.  With the Trim Healthy Mama way, what do you see wrong with this picture?  Can you say major carb overload?

So eating the Trim Healthy Mama way, for me, has been about breaking the bad habits that I have developed over the years.  Habits that have been centered around food.  With the crazy roller coaster lives we live, being working mothers with children, we tend to have a set routine throughout the day, routines that are seldom broken.  If the routine is broken, the days go quickly awry.  For me, Trim Healthy Mama has also been about overcoming Carbohydrate cravings.  I know that bread is a huge one that many of us feel necessary to incorporate, in some aspect, into each meal.  I have had to come up with alternative bread options. Joseph’s brand has many tasty options available.  Check out their website for varieties and locations that carry their brand.  Ole Mexican Foods has an amazing Xtreme Fiber Wrap for those who love Mexican Cuisine and can’t seem to get away from the tortilla shells. Then there is the Bread in A Mug –S recipe from the Trim Health Mama Book (C. 19 P. 265).  This bread recipe is very versatile and becomes quite savory with added herbs and garlic.  I have used this for toast and grilled cheese sandwiches on several occasions.  A lesson learned, just because a way of eating is low in carbohydrates, doesn't mean that you can’t satisfy that craving for bread using some of the many alternative options available.

This morning when deciding what to prepare for breakfast, I went back to the days of my childhood when my mother used to make those clever little bundles of goodness.  Isn't it amazing how when we reminisce about things from our past, we have an instant desire to back to those days and enjoy foods from those times?  This morning, I took it upon myself to go back to the days of dippy eggs and eggs in a basket.  Using the Bread in a Bug recipe from the book, I created my THM-S version of an Egg in a Basket.  I am calling them THM Chick Bundles.

THM Chick Bundles
Makes 4
Bread in a Mug Ingredients

1 Eggland’s Best Cage Free Egg or ¼ Cup Egg Whites
2 T Flax Meal
2 T Almond Flour
½ tsp Baking Powder (we use aluminum free).
1 tsp Coconut Oil
Pinch of salt
Pinch Jane’s Crazy Salt
Pinch of Italian Seasoning

Put egg in a coffee mug – whisk well with a fork. Combine remaining ingredients and stir vigorously – microwave for 1 to 1.5 minutes depending on your microwave.  Remove the bread from the mug and cut into four slices a 1/2” thick.  Cut the circle the size of a ping pong ball in the center of each slice.

Bundle Ingredients

4 Eggland’s Best Cage Free Eggs
1 Slice of Low Fat Ham, quartered
2 Slices of Cheddar Cheese, halved
1 T Coconut Oil
Salt and Pepper to taste

After the Bread in the Mug is prepared; in a large skillet, on medium high heat coconut oil until melted.  Place the four slices of Bread in A Mug with center removed, in the heated skillet.  Crack an egg in the center of each piece of bread.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.  After 1 minute, carefully flip the bread and egg over.  Place a slice of the quartered ham on top of each bundle.  Allow to cook for one minute and carefully flip the bundles.  Place the cheese on the top and remove from heat.  Place a lid on the skillet for a minute to melt the cheese.  Plate your Chick Bundle and enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Luscious Lemon Pudding Tart

I have always had a huge love for lemon and sweets.  Since I started Trim Healthy Mama, I have hesitated to eat a lot of dessert type foods because I know that eating sweets was something that I always enjoyed.  I, however, have been craving something with lemon as of late.  I searched and searched trying to find something that already existed, but nothing seemed just what I was looking for.  I ran ran across a recipe for a lemon poppy seed muffin by  Rohnda Sue  that gave me great inspiration.  I experimented with different sugar types and flour ratios hoping to come up with a bit of a dryer crumbly crust, similar to a graham cracker to no avail, then one particular time, this happened.  I believe this is due in part to the Xylitol, because other times this worked out just fine like a muffin should. The centers of the muffin sunk and I had a light bulb moment. The birth of the lemon tart, verified by Trim Healthy Mama trained folks as a Heavy S,  came together.  I remembered h

Candy, Candy and More Candy

When I began to ponder the idea of starting a blog to document my new lifestyle journey, the first dilemma I was faced with was how to title my blog.  When I look back over the ups and downs of my roller coaster weight loss and weight gain, I thought long and hard about what exactly it was that got me to where I am.  I also thought about what other people might find as interesting topics to read about.  So for myself, I know that there are many contributing factors that have been a source of my weight gain. Most of those factors where formed from habits that I have continued to feed throughout most of my life, childhood and adulthood. Thus the "Habitual" part of my blog name was formed. There are many habits that a person develops throughout their life time.  Some good, some maybe not so good.  I looked up the definition of habit in the trusty old Merrium-Webster Dictionary, this is what I found. 1 hab·it   noun   \ ˈ ha-bət\ : a usual way of behaving : somethin

Idahoan Signature Russets

Many nights I come home after a tough day at the office. I usually have barn work to do to take care of the Baby Norwegian Dwarf Goats at Campbell's Charming Country Farm. These little guys and the little gal are like therapy after a bad day. Their faces and personality are so cute. They make a bad day better.  I have dinner to prepare for my family. Each evening I fuss around trying to figure out what to prepare that everyone will like. Also, figuring out what I can make quickly as I usually don't have allot of time. I recently received the Idahoan Vox Box free to try from Influenster in exchange for my fair and honest opinion of the product. I decided to break into the Idahoan Signature Russets packet from the Vox Box. I made cube steak, brown gravy, Idahoan Signature Russets and Corn. The Russets were very quick and easy to prepare in just a few simple steps. From package to plate in less than 10 minutes. Even better was the flavor and light creamy buttery goodness. Th